Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hunchback of Notre Dame

Today I went with two of my friends to Notre Dame to climb up to see the view and those famous gargoyles. After waiting around half an hour to get in ( you should get there early in the morning if you don't want to wait too long in line since they only let around 20 people at a time) and climbing what seemed to be the most claustrophobic stairs ever, we finally made it to the top and the view was just amazing. I honestly think that it doesn't matter where you go, from which building you're looking at Paris, the view is beautiful because Paris simply is beautiful.
This view was very different from the top of the eiffel tower though, because you got to see the gargoyles and the detail of Notre Dame itself, which is quite impressive. As I looked at the beautiful city that is Paris, I couldn't believe I was there standing on top of Notre Dame and not only as a tourist, but as resident. I lived here, no matter if it was only for 6 months, I got the chance to be in this incredible city, a city many dream about visiting, a city many people come and visit for 3 or so days and here I am, getting to see the city with plenty of time and being able to see it every single day for 6 months. It was so unreal. Just thinking about this made me want to never leave. To think that at the beginning of this trip I kept telling people that Paris was nice but I could never live here. I don't know what changed my mind, maybe the fact that I fell in love with this place or maybe it grew on me, or maybe I just got the hang of living here....I have no idea but I clearly think different than 4 months ago.
Okay so I am going to stop talking about my love of Paris, since this post is about Notre Dame, I'll save the gushy talk for another post haha.

So the main thing to see on top of Notre Dame is the gargoyles, the architecture, and the view. You got to see the details in the ceilings and walls that you normally wouldn't from far away. You also got to see the famous bell known as "Emmanuel", that is only rung on special occasions now. I was kind of hoping it would be a little bit more like this...

 The bell in the Hunchback of Notre Dame 2
(Picture taken from google)
Full of jewels instead of this...

But I guess I'm going to have to settle for a jewel-less bell, that's alright it was still pretty impressive since I've never seen such a big bell.

The gargoyles where pretty cool too, I couldn't help to think about the gargoyles from the movie though.

Look! I found Laverne!! 
Laverne
(Picture taken from google)



Here are some more pictures of the view and the Cathedral






No comments:

Post a Comment