Sunday, August 19, 2012

Giverny

Today my friends and I decided to visit Claude Monet's garden. To be honest I was a bit hesitant about visiting at first and I wasn't really into the idea. I know who Monet is, but I didn't see what the big deal was about seeing his house and his garden. Clearly I am not educated because once I got there I finally understood why.

I got to admit, I am so happy I decided to go in the end, yes getting there took us a few hours since we decided to take the cheaper option which meant we had to take like 2 different trains and then a bus. But it was SO worth it. It also served as an escape from the usual hectic Parisian life. It's crazy to see that just right outside Paris there are houses, gardens, trees etc. I had forgotten how there is more outside the city.

I unfortunately didn't have my camera with me that day since I decided to go last minute, after my host mom told me it was beautiful and really worth it, and it was the worst time to not have a camera. The garden was beautiful, and I could see where Monet got his inspiration.

There where different kinds of flowers, and they even had a few chickens in one area. We also got to see the famous lilly pond, and it was so beautiful and peaceful. We just stayed there for a couple of minutes admiring the view. There was something so serene and inspiring about the garden that I cannot describe it with words. I felt as if I was a fairy surrounded by beautiful flower and their bright colors and their scents.

We also got to see his house, which was pretty big and had an amazing view to the garden (of course). It was pretty cool because not only did you get to see where he lived, but also see how houses back then were. I always find it interesting to see old houses, to see how people lived and how different they are from today. The biggest changes of course being the kitchens!

I wish I could share with you some pictures, but since I didn't have my camera on me I couldn't take any. But if you are in Paris, have a day to spare and are a big Monet fan or love gardens or simply curious, you should definitely visit Giverny. There is an express train that take you there but it costs around 26 euros. If you are on a budget, there is another way to get there cheaper, but it is much longer, (on our way back it was much faster for some odd reason) so it's up to you to decide if you rather pay more and get there quickly or pay less and take more time to get there.

"I am only good at two things, and those are: gardening and painting."-Claude Monet

No comments:

Post a Comment